Monday, May 30, 2016

Baby #2 Overview: Weeks Twenty-Two, Twenty-Three, and Twenty-Four

Week 22: This week I had to take the glucose blood test. Tommy went to work late on Saturday so he could watch Gavin while I went to get the blood work done. It wasn't as bad as the first time I had to take it. At this lab there is a separate room with a comfy recliner chair and flat screen T.V. I drank my sugary drink and relaxed for an hour without any disruption! It was like a mini vacation! After the hour was up they took the tube of blood right away and then I was on my way. I'm sure my sugar levels are normal, I didn't have gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Gavin.

The Baby: is the size of a grapefruit! Levi's senses are really developing this week. Taste buds are forming and nerve endings are developed enough for him to experience the sensation of touch.

Mommy's Health: I have been feeling a lot of pressure in the lower part of my uterus. I have been on my feet a lot lately, so I probably just need to relax more. With Gavin's pregnancy, I didn't get the pressure feeling until a couple weeks before he was born. Everything happens so much sooner the second time around.

This week, my baby app said stretch marks might begin to appear this week. I didn't get one stretch mark from my first pregnancy,(YAY!!) but I used to put cocoa butter on my belly religiously. This time, I probably put lotion on my belly twice. My belly is a little bigger this pregnancy, but not much. Hopefully I'll get lucky and not get stretch marks again!


                            


Week 23: Last pregnancy I was working out on the elliptical and lifting weights at week 23, then replaced it with prenatal yoga because I kept getting dizzy. Go first-time-pregnancy me! This pregnancy, I don't have the time or energy to workout. I have no room at my mom's for my elliptical and by the time I come home from working all day I'm so tired. Then I feed Gavin, eat dinner, play with him, give him a bath, and take a shower myself, by Gavin's bedtime, I'm exhausted. Life is so busy with a toddler, and it's going to be busier with a toddler AND a baby!!

The Baby: is the size of a spaghetti squash! Levi is now more proportioned from the head size to the rest of his body and is looking more and more like a sweet baby newborn. 

Mommy's Health: I still feel the pressure in my uterus, even though I tried relaxing more this week. My uterus is also sore because Levi swims, squirms,and kicks all day and night. I love feeling every motion, but he does not rest for more than ten minutes! The world better be ready for this one!



                           

Week 24: This week I had my monthly doctor's appointment. One more monthly appointment after this one, then I see the doctor every two weeks! Levi's arrival is getting so close! 

I was supposed to see Dr. B this time, but she is going to be out until July for something medical. Because she is out, Dr. V needed help, so she had the head nurse practitioner from the hospital I delivered/will deliver at help her out. I never met her before, but she was nice. I told her I delivered my first child at her hospital and what happened to me after Gavin was born. If you don't know or remember, instead of my uterus contracting back to normal size right after Gavin was born, it started to come out after my placenta. This is called uterine atony. I also hemorrhaged and lost so much blood I almost needed a blood transfusion. This was two years ago, and the nurse practitioner remembered hearing about me. She named one of my nurses that was there during Gavin's delivery and she knew the story. She even knew the nickname the nurses came up for me,which was "Hallway Hero." I didn't feel like a hero, but they called me that because even though I could barley move, (I couldn't even stand up to use the bathroom) I still nursed Gavin every hour to two hours and took care of him. That's not a hero, that's being a mommy! But now that I think of it, mommies are heroes! 

Anyway, the nurse heard Levi's heartbeat and felt around my belly. Of course, Levi was squirming the whole time. Everything checked out great. 

My blood pressure was a little low, but nothing to worry about. 

I asked the nurse about the pressure I was feeling and she said I need to stay off my feet more (shocker) and to drink more water. The pressure could be a sign of dehydration. I drink sooo much water, I doubt the pressure is from dehydration. I'll have to try to relax even more. 

The nurse also looked at my glucose blood work. She looked shocked and said my glucose level was 85, which is better than most women who aren't pregnant. Another Yay!


The Baby:is the size of an ear of corn! Levi is rapidly developing his senses and can sense whether he is upside down or right side up. His respiratory system is also rapidly growing. His lungs are developing in preparation for breathing and he is even practicing for his first breath! Levi and my uterus are right above my belly button. 


Mommy's Health: This week I had a headache almost everyday after work. I don't know if it's school or pregnancy related. Probably a little of both. The headaches aren't as intense as my first trimester headaches, but just enough to be annoying. I forget about them once Gavin is up and ready to start his afternoon!



                         




No comments:

Post a Comment