Thursday, August 29, 2013

Weeks Three, Four, and Five Overview.

Right now I am five weeks and three days pregnant and I love it... given nothing is really going on during these early weeks, but still, I'm doing great.

On my last post I stated I was two weeks pregnant, but I was really four. My doctor told me to take the first day of my last menstrual cycle (July 23, 2013) to help determine my due date...as opposed to taking the most fertile day during ovulation (which was August 9, 2013). This is why I was two weeks off.

Women are usually pregnant for forty weeks, so actually, that's ten months. However, a mother isn't considered "pregnant" until week three when the blastocyst finished traveling through the fallopian tube and has officially planted itself into the uterus. Which makes being officially pregnant for 9 months, but it is a ten month process. Confused yet? If so, reread the paragraph.

You good? I hope so...Here is an overview on weeks three, four, and five:


WEEK 3: Tommy and I told family and friends. I called the doctor to make our first appointment, which is September 9, 2013.

The baby: The blastocyst planted itself in the uterus and is now an embryo. The embryo will continue to grow and become a fetus.

Mommy's Health: I had no appetite all week. I was soo hungry, but anytime I thought of food, I’d lose my appetite, but I was not nauseous. I still ate. I had whole grains, veggies, Greek yogurt, chicken, eggs, and tons of fruit to help with possible constipation.

I had cramps all week, apparently it's just my uterus growing and stretching. Yummy.

I still exercised regularly. I use the elliptical and or go for long walks. I no longer increase my weights anymore, I only increase the reps.

I drink 10-12 glasses of water and take my prenatal vitamin every night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WEEK 4: Tommy and I took our "week 4" pictures. We even started to narrow down baby names.

The baby: The embryo was the size of a poppy seed.






 

Mommy's Health: I still did not have an appetite. I still ate: whole grains, veggies, Greek yogurt, granola, chicken, eggs, and tons of fruit to help with possible constipation. (I don't think constipation will even be a problem considering the amount of fruit I eat)

According to my BMI (body mass index), age, height, and current weight, I should gain anywhere from 25-35 pounds. Not too bad!

I still had cramps all week. This uterus has a long way to grow. Get it?

I'm doing exercises on my back while I still can, once I’m in my second trimester, the baby is too heavy. I will not be able to sleep or do exercises on my back because the baby will be heavy enough to push blood veins against the backbone, or other internal body parts. This causes the baby's blood flow to slow down or even stop. NO THANKS.

I still drink 10-12 glasses of water and take my prenatal vitamin every night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WEEK 5: (my current week) Tommy and I really TRIED to narrow down our baby names. I'm pretty sure I have them picked out. We also made a list of things we will need when the baby comes so we can start buying things little by little. Items that aren't usually given at a baby shower, for example, baby thermometer, baby gate (mostly to keep my Chihuahua, Chloe, out of the hallway so I don't have to worry about tripping over her), and a baby monitor.

We are taking our "week 5" pictures tomorrow!

The Baby: The embryo is the size of an apple seed. Seriously!! From a tiny poppy seed dot to an actually visible apple seed...IN ONE WEEK! UNBELIEVABLE!



 

ACCORDING TO MY "Baby Bump" APP: The embryo is now dividing into three layers of cells. The top layer will become the central nervous system (the brain, spinal cord, spinal nerves, and backbone). The middle layer will develop into the circulatory system. The bottom layer will develop the lungs, intestines, thyroid, and other major organs.

Mommy's Health: I'm rarely hungry. I think it's because I’m eating more frequently to avoid the headaches I’ve been getting this week.

My sense of smell has increased greatly. I already have a nose like a bloodhound before I was pregnant (not the size of my nose, just my sense of smell...very funny). NOW my sense of smell is like a bloodhound and a shark combined. There are no clear reasons why a mother's sense of smell heightens when pregnant. Some say it's a "maternal instinct" to protect the baby. If something smells rancid from afar, the mother knows not to go near it.

I do have a little tiny BELLY bump. But don't get too excited...it's only water weight 

I still drink 10-12 glasses of water and take my prenatal vitamin every night.

I still exercise regularly. I do not increase my weights, I only increase the reps. I don't want to lift weights that are too heavy and end up hurting myself.

I've also been doing "Kegel" exercises. These are exercises that strengthen the pelvic muscles. This muscle supports urethra, bladder, uterus, and rectum. These exercises help with birth because it strengthens the uterus and the mother's muscle tones in the vagina. I'm sure most of you are lost and thinking, WHAT THE HECK ARE KEGEL EXERCISES. Do I really need to go into HOW to do these exercises? FINE, I will.

~~MEN DO NOT TRY THIS; YOU DO NOT HAVE A VAGINA!! PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH~~

Alright ladies, first start with an empty bladder. Hurry up, go pee. Ok, now imagine you are urinating and push. Now, pull back up like you are trying to stop yourself from peeing. Feel the squeeze? Hold it for five seconds. Now release and do it again. Make sure you’re squeezing and lifting without using your tummy, bottom, or squeezing your legs together. Only use your vagina. (For the guys that did not take my advice and move onto the next paragraph..having fun?) Pregnant women should repeat these "squeezes" thoughout parts of the day in sets of five. Ya know if your sitting there bored in a meeting, just squeeze your vagina and pull up. It's a fun time. I'm such a good Kegel exercise instructor. Is that even a profession?? Where to I apply? I can offer it online!! Lindsay: Certified Kegel Exercise Instructor. It does have a nice ring to it. Alright, let's bring the men back.

WELCOME BACK MEN!

FOR WEEK 6 AND OTHER WEEKS TO FOLLOW: Let's just all assume i'm drinking 10-12 glasses of water, taking my prenatal vitamin every night, using the elliptical or taking a long walk everyday, lifting weights, stretching, and doing my Kegel exercises...until told otherwise. Writing them over and over every week will get old fast. And i'm sure you'll get tired of reading it.

Can't wait to see what week six will bring me!



 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Lindsay! I'm Heather and I was hoping you could answer a question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete