Thursday, June 13, 2013

Keep Those Scissors Away from my Lady Parts!

This post is way overdue, I know. My great uncle (who lived in Florida) passed away last week and my family, husband, and I drove down to Florida (16 hours straight) for the service and other things. What an adventure... PLUS, the school year is winding down and I had to start clearing out my room and finalize grades. OK, No more excuses. Let's talk BABY.

In one of my past posts I mentioned how hard it has been for me to find a decent ob-gyn. I have an appointment with this new doctor. The appointment is quickly approaching, well, actually it's in two weeks. In between my busy teaching schedule and family emergencies, I have been able to research specific questions that should be asked before choosing your ob-gyn. I found this awesome website (what else is new) that has some great questions.

Here are some of the questions I like from the website and some that I thought of on my own:

1: Who will deliver my baby? This is important because there is usually a team of doctors and whoever is on call will be the one who will deliver the baby. It would bother me if the doctor I have been sharing this whole experience with and who I created a trusting relationship with wasn't the one delivering my child. I mean she will know my birth plan (when I create it), and bet your savings account my birthing plan will be specific and annoyingly precise. On a lighter note, the doctor I will be "interviewing" has her own practice and only has one other doctor working with her. I'm sure I will be familiar with both doctors so I will not be surprised by some random doctor showing up on the big day. Another important fact is they are both women doctors. This is important to me because I don't feel comfortable with some gross dirty man checking in on my lady parts every few weeks. NO THANKS.

2. What is your philosophy of birth? There are basically two main beliefs when it comes to maternity care. One is "active management" which favors medical technology and other advances to make life "easier." The other belief is "expectant management" which favors normal/traditional labor without intervening with technology. I hope my doctor is the expectant management type because I want to go as natural as possible (besides sonograms). I'm sure if I tell her I want to do everything naturally, she will support me. But, it's good to know what the doctor believes and practices most often.

3. What will you do to reduce the chance of episiotomy? Ew, I'm not going into this because it freaks me out. Episiotomy is when the doctor makes a 1-2 inch incision in the vaginal opening to give the baby more room to plow through when delivering. I DO NOT WANT THIS INCISION.


 Ok, so maybe that's a little dramatic. Anyway, an episotomy is rarely necessary, however, some doctors do it anyway to help move along the delivery. If I tear during a vaginal birth, oh well. Why cut it if you don't have to? OK DONE.

4. What should I be eating and what foods should I avoid? I'm a health freak and I know an abundant amount of information on this topic so I'm not worried. I know I eat enough whole grains, veggies, and fruits, so I'm not worried about that. I could use some more protein. I don't eat meat except for chicken, and that's rare. No pig, cow, or any other animals for me! I know I'm not supposed to have high increments of fish and that's fine. I think it's good to ask these question to make sure I'm doing everything right and maybe she can even let me in on some foods that can help conception. ;)

5. What is an appropriate amount to exercise? I do love to run and go for long walks. I also would love to take a prenatal yoga class, it's just so relaxing and yoga stretches out those hips! I just want to make sure I don't overdue or under due it.

6. What hospital do you deliver in? The hospitals are not that great where I live, but I love this one hospital and it's the closest to me. This is good news: the doctor I'm anticipating to ask all of these questions delivers at the hospital closest to me! LUCKY HER!

7. Should and can you prescribe me a prenatal vitamin? I'm still nervous since the whole fiasco with my TARGET BRAND prenatal vitamins full of chemicals. Hopefully, she can prescribe me a safe and effective vitamin to ease my mind.

8. What is the best way to conceive? duh.

9. Can I dye my hair? Use moisturizers? Face cream? Nail polish? I would love to hear an expert's thoughts on this. I know it's not good to dye your hair while pregnant, but I also heard that women need to be aware of what they are putting on their skin as well.


Well, those are my most important questions I prepared and I'm sure there will be plenty more "on the spot" questions during my husband's and my consolation. Can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment