Saturday, June 15, 2013

POOP

If you have been reading all of my posts so far, you pretty much know many of my beliefs and decisions during and after my pregnancy. Like, I want to breastfeed, I want to try to have the most natural birth possible, I take prenatal vitamins, I want buy an SUV, How I want my pregnancy pictures to look, when I want to conceive/when I want the baby to be born, and much more.

What about diapering? I'm sort of torn between disposable diapers and cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are reusable after washing and drying them as apposed to disposable diapers which are just thrown away after each use. Here is a chart I made to weigh out each option:

 
Concerns
Disposable Diapers
Cloth Diapers
cost
Estimated cost from birth to potty training is $2,000-$3,000 per child
Estimated cost from birth to potty training is $300-$500 for all children
·         Cloth diapers can be reused for child number two, three, four etc.
·         They are  expensive  in the beginning because  you have to buy a large amount, but in the long run it’s worth it
·         You can buy different sizes OR adjustable ones. Adjustable diapers save money because as the baby gets bigger, the diapers get wider.
Smell
Same amount of smell as cloth diapers
Same amount of smell as a disposable diaper
Care for
Throw away after use
 
Reuse the diapers which means they need to be washed and dried.  Even though cloth diapers require more work, it’s not as bad as it sounds.
·         The dry pail method seems to be the easiest: take the dirty diaper and either put the solid waste in the toilet or not, it’s not mandatory.  After you removed the diaper you put it in a dry diaper pail, which has a cloth liner. When it is time to do laundry take the cloth liner with all the cloth diapers and throw them into the washing machine. Wash the diapers and put them in the dryer, or to save energy, hang them outside to dry
 
Sanitary/leaks
Have chemicals. How do you think the diapers absorb so much??  There are many different types of chemicals and the “high absorbency” causes lazy parents to change babies less often, which is not good either. Babies and toddlers should not be sitting in diapers for long hours because the diapers can handle it. GROSS. Both types of diapers should be changed every 2-3 hours. Cloth diapers sound way cheaper now right?
No chemicals and have pouches and slips to put in extra absorbency pads for heavy wetters
(they still need to be changed every 2-3 hours)
Energy/water
If you think about it, disposable diapers use energy and causes harm to the planet.
·         Cut down trees to produce diapers
·         Water and energy are used to create diapers and bleach it
·         More paper and plastic used for packaging
·         Gas used to transport them by car, truck, cargo planes
·         Energy used to at the dump after they are thrown away
 
After reading the energy and water use of the disposable diapers, cloth diapers don’t seem so bad
·         Cloth diapers do cause more laundry which uses energy and water. If you have an energy/water efficient washer like I do, there is not as much water and energy being used. But even if you don’t, it’s not that much.
 
Convenience
Disposable diapers are more convenient because they just need to be thrown away after each use.
Cloth diapers are less convenient, but I feel like once there is a routine and comfort it won’t be that bad. But, if someone is watching the baby or going on a long trip, the special diaper pail needs to come along and you have to keep the dirty cloth diapers until they can be washed.






As you can tell, I'm leaning more towards cloth diapers. I mean, It doesn't hurt to try. I just can't stand the thought of putting my child in a harmful chemical-filled porta potty. I also read, on many accounts, that there is a higher percentage of diaper rash in babies who wear disposable diapers. Diaper rash is painful!

ALSO, My husband is a plumber and cleans drains and pipes and deals with sewer problems so, I'm washing his work clothes that are full of poop anyway...what's another 7-10 poopy diapers? If it doesn't work out I can find away to make it work, or find another solution.

Most of my information came from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment